- Investigation into UPNG unrest 50% complete
- Case against university students dismissed
- UPNG terminates 2016 academic year
- UPNG students granted bail
- Police to enforce curfew at state universities
- DHERST has no jurisdiction in UPNG administrative matters
- UPNG semester suspended
- HERST minister calls for UPNG students to resume classes
- UPNG first year dorm gutted by fire
- UPNG dormitory goes up in flames
Two more implicated in Unitech fraud case
Two former Unitech officials have been implicated in the alleged fraud by former head of the university’s engineering department, Professor Narayan Gehlot.
The Post Courier reports that former Unitech Vice-Chancellor (VC), Misty Baloiloi and former registrar Allen Sako have been named in an alleged conspiracy to defraud the university by Gehlot.
Gehlot, who holds a dual American and Indian citizenship and originally comes from Banta village in the Pali area of Rajasthan in India, appeared before senior District court magistrate, Posain Poloh, on three counts of misappropriation.
The first charge states that Gehlot misappropriated K675, 703 belonging to the state for personal use and the use of other persons.
The second charge states that he, by false pretence and with the intent to defraud, obtained K675, 703 from the University for Reimbursement by submitting false documents with no receipts with the intent to defraud.
The final charge was that Gehlot conspired with the former VC, Mist Baloiloi, former registrar, Allen Sako, and others to defraud the University of K675, 703 from its public investment program trust account, with the intent to defraud.
All charges were alleged to have been committed between January 17, 2012 and February 4, 2013.
No plea was taken from Professor Gehlot and he was allowed K5000 bail by the court to allow police to complete their files and interview more people in relation to the matter.
The case has been adjourned to May 22 and more people are expected to be interviewed by the criminal investigations unit in the following weeks.
Latest posts by Bernard (see all)
- Electoral body urged not to use teachers in election - December 7, 2016
- Charges against former Education secretary dismissed - December 7, 2016
- Romanong murder trial adjourned - December 6, 2016