- UPNG receives part of K12 million government funding
- Investigation into UPNG unrest 50% complete
- Case against university students dismissed
- UPNG terminates 2016 academic year
- UPNG students granted bail
- Police to enforce curfew at state universities
- DHERST has no jurisdiction in UPNG administrative matters
- UPNG semester suspended
- HERST minister calls for UPNG students to resume classes
- UPNG first year dorm gutted by fire
UOG acting VC announced
An acting vice chancellor for the University of Goroka (UOG) has been appointed by the interim governing council and was announced today in the Post Courier (September 25).
Associate Professor of Chemistry, Dr John Kola, has been appointed as the interim VC after incumbent Dr Gairo Onagi was suspended following a month long class boycott, demanding for his removal, that ended in a violent confrontation with police resulting in a few of students injured.
The removal of the VC was the main demand by the boycotting students. They had the support of landowner clans where the university is situated.
The clans had also nominated their preference for VC and called on the government to appoint Dr Pole Awei (Post Courier, September 7) into the position.
The university’s interim governing council was sworn in on Wednesday and is headed by former University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG) chancellor, Dr Joseph Sukwinomb.