- K2.26 million paid to UPNG for outstanding TESAS fees
- UPNG students begin paying outstanding TESAS fees
- UPNG lecturers plan protest today
- UPNG receives part of K12 million government funding
- Investigation into UPNG unrest 50% complete
- Case against university students dismissed
- UPNG terminates 2016 academic year
- UPNG students granted bail
- Police to enforce curfew at state universities
- DHERST has no jurisdiction in UPNG administrative matters
UPNG officially takes over Games Village
Come the month of June this year over one thousand students attending the University of Papua New Guinea will be living at the Games Village that housed athletes from the Pacific region during the 2015 Pacific Games.
The Games Village and its facilities was officially handed over to the UPNG Administration in a ceremony were the key to the facility was handed over by the Minister for Higher Education, Research, Science & Technology, Malakai Tabar to Chancellor of UPNG Dr Nicholas Mann.
In his address to the guests, UPNG staffs and students who attended the ceremony, Minister for Sports and Tourism Justin Tkatchenko said it is going to be a massive challenge for the UPNG Administration to manage and maintain the facilities with over a thousand rooms.
“The students that are going to be using these facilities must set a new standard and it’s not only the UPNG Council or Administration’s responsibility but everyone that will be using these facilities. You must be proud that the Government has invested in this to ensure that the students of UPNG have a proper, clean, safe and healthy environment to leave in,” says Minister Tkatchenko.
It was also announced that the UPNG Council has agree to terms with the Government through the PNG Sports Foundation to put aside 200 rooms that will be used by athletes for Sporting Excellence.
Meanwhile, UPNG Vice Chancellor, Prof Albert Mellam has welcomed the Ministers challenge and even assured the Minister that they are already working on a plan of regulations that will be implemented at the facilities.