UPNG first year dorm gutted by fire

By on April 2, 2016

While the University of Papua New Guinea is gearing up for the 61st graduation ceremony next week, it is miserable to see the first year dormitory (Talaigu) was burnt down by fire at around 6pm Yesterday evening.

Over 40 first year students residing were not hurt hence, they lost their valuable items such as certificates and laptops.

According to the student residing at Talaigu dormitory said the fire started at the top floor which was believed to be from an electrical fault.

He said he was inside his room doing his study at the time the fire started, he ran into the room where the fire started though of putting out the fire but the room door was locked.

However according to the male student’s warden who was present at the site Mr Samuel Banake, the dormitories were renovated some years back, but since that time up till now, not much has been done.

After an hour later the fire crews turned up at the site, but were unable to stop the spread of the fire due to the shortage of water and lack of hydrants located within the university for the additional water for fire fighter to use.

Meanwhile all the students residing at the Talaigu dormitory were immediately relocated to the former Pacific Games Village dormitories.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

About Dan Norumbu Robert

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

%d bloggers like this: