- UPNG receives part of K12 million government funding
- Investigation into UPNG unrest 50% complete
- Case against university students dismissed
- UPNG terminates 2016 academic year
- UPNG students granted bail
- Police to enforce curfew at state universities
- DHERST has no jurisdiction in UPNG administrative matters
- UPNG semester suspended
- HERST minister calls for UPNG students to resume classes
- UPNG first year dorm gutted by fire
Teacher in Manus charged with rape
A teacher at a primary school in Manus has been arrested and charged for allegedly raping a 13 year old female student, The National (December 1) reports.
According to acting provincial police commander, Senior Inspector David Yapu, the incident happened at Baso Primary School on Lou island, Manus province.
It is alleged that the accused, a 25 year old man from Mbunai village, followed the girl into the school storeroom where he locked the door and assaulted her. The female student later revealed the incident to her fellow students and friends, and the matter was reported to the police.
The suspect was charged with two counts of sexual penetration and abuse of trust. He is expected to appear at the Lorengau District Court for mention this week.