- K2.26 million paid to UPNG for outstanding TESAS fees
- UPNG students begin paying outstanding TESAS fees
- UPNG lecturers plan protest today
- UPNG receives part of K12 million government funding
- Investigation into UPNG unrest 50% complete
- Case against university students dismissed
- UPNG terminates 2016 academic year
- UPNG students granted bail
- Police to enforce curfew at state universities
- DHERST has no jurisdiction in UPNG administrative matters
Classes suspended in Madang after threats by armed student
A grade 8 student is being treated at the Modilon Hospital in Madang for a head injury after a school scuffle with four people, one of whom has been identified as a fellow student, yesterday.
According to witnesses, the attackers, in full school uniform, walked onto the Holy Spirit Primary School grounds about noon in search of the school head boy who had confiscated a portable speaker earlier in the day.
Student accounts suggest the aggressors did not find who they were after and were instead confronted by a brave student (named) who was frustrated at the class disruption.
This led to the student being beaten with rocks and slashed with a knife over the head and on the chest by the four aggressors.
It was reported that the attackers pointed a gun at the attending classroom teacher who tried to intervene. They threatened to shoot everyone in the class, 20 in total if anyone tried to help.
The attackers were eventually confronted by auxiliary officers near the school premises who captured two, who were confirmed to have been brought to Jomba police station and locked up.
Madang police commander Chief Superintendent Jacob Singura confirmed the attack and said that a team had been dispatched quickly to investigate.
“The incident is most concerning because it allegedly involves a gun.
“I have yet to receive a report from the tasked officers but I am certain that the individuals responsible will face the full brunt of the police force,” Chief Supt Singura said.
A parent of one of the students said that the attack was a first of its kind that involved the threat of gun violence over such a small matter.
“He was playing music very loud in class in the morning and so the head boy of the school confiscated the speaker and said he could get it at the end of the day,” parent Mr Hondo Bart said.
“This resulted in the speaker owner running off and returning with his gang.” Parents of the students gathered late in the afternoon yesterday to confront the two captured attackers at Jomba police station but were held back by the officers on duty.
Madang police said that the student who started the fight has not been caught but added that the two arrested accomplices were in the process of being questioned on his whereabouts.
Modilon Hospital said as of last night that the victim of the attack received more than 30 stitches to the head and chest but was stable and would survive the severe head trauma.
Latest posts by Franklin Kolma (see all)
- Classes suspended in Madang after threats by armed student - March 2, 2017